Sometimes giving positive feedback is as challenging as giving negative feedback. The difficulty is sounding positive and specific not just enthusiastic and generic. Everyone is in the position to offer “gift-giving phrases”–boss to employee, co-worker to co-worker, salesperson to customer, parent to child, spouses, partners and so on.
Here are a few gift-giving phrases: (be specific with the details)
- You really made a difference by ___( sharing your expertise, pitching in to help…)
- I’m impressed with your____( ability to handle angry customers, insight into this project…)
- You got my attention with___( your interpretation of the research…)
- You can be proud of yourself for___(handling that misunderstanding with diplomacy….)
- One of the things I enjoy most about you is___(your ability to make others feel good…)
Share your own gift-giving phrases below.
Want more communication tips you can use immediately? First, put your name and email in the boxes in the upper right and get your Free 6 part audio series on communication. Second, pick up a copy of Misunderstood! The Fast Guide to Communicating at Work-What to Say, How to Say It and When to Shut Up. Lastly, give someone a gift today by using one of the phrases above. You’ll make the world a better place.